JSCE Civil Engineering Library
The Civil Engineering Library has completed its improvement work! All library services has resumed.
History of the JSCE Civil Engineering Library
Japan Society of Civil Engineers is an academic society founded in 1914 and has been active for close to 90 years. Currently counting over 40 thousand members in and outside of Japan, it takes on a commanding role in the field of civil engineering technologies, considered one of the best among the world. In commemoration of JSCE's 50th anniversary in 1964, the JSCE Civil Engineering Library has reorganized all the books and materials it has accumulated over the several decades and renewed the library to make its service available to civil engineers and the general public as well. The library reopened on January 6, 1965. In May 2001, the aging library building has been taken down, and a new library building opened on May 14, 2002.
Description and Lineup
The library contains publications by JSCE, the "100 Prewar Classics on Civil Engineering", books, magazines, collected papers from international conference, and other specialized references pertaining to the field of civil engineering. The library contains materials from various parts of Japan, as well as those from abroad. It also places emphasis on collection of historical documents. The collection is organized according to JSCE's unique system, sorted into 24 categories of civil engineering, and classified into further subcategories.
- Civil Engineering (General)
- Applied Mechanics
- Soil Mechanics
- Metal & Special Structures
- Cith Planning
- Sanitary Engineering
- Port & Harbor
- Power Generation
- Land Improvement
- Irrigation, Drainage and Reclamation
- There are 5 computers to help you find the references you need.
- The library is composed of open and closed sections.Books and references in the open library may be accessed freely.
- There are a total of 20 seats (including 4 carrells), and 2 seats at the drawings table in the reading room. Carrells are available until 18:00 (JSCE members have priority over non-members).
- The books and references kept in the vault are available by a completion of the necessary form.
- All books and references cannot be taken outside the library for lending.
(2) Entrance Fees
JSCE members (Regular Members, Student Members, Corporate Members, and Special Members) may use the JSCE Civil Engineering Library free of charge. Non-members will be charged JPY400 per day.
(3) Entrance Procedures
Regular and Student Members will be asked to present their Membership Cards upon entering the library. Corporate and Special Members will be required to show their IDs. You will be asked to leave your belongings outside the building with the exception of writing utensils. Coin lockers are available by the entrance.
(4) Reference Service
Assistance regarding civil engineering references is provided at the counter, over the phone, through mail, fax, or e-mail to the best of our ability.
(5) Copying Service
Since the library is one of the facilities appointed by the Agency of Cultural Affairs, we offer services only within the limits of the copyright law.
- Request for reference copies will be accepted at the counter or through post mail, fax, or e-mail. (Requests over the phone will not be accepted.)
- Request Receiving Hours:
- 9:30 - 11:30, 13:00 - 16:00
- Finished Copies:
- Finished copies should be picked up from the counter or shall be mailed. When a request is made upon a visit to the library, there is a limite to the maximum number of pages that are able to be taken home on the requested date. For any requests exceeding the limit, they will be provided at a later date. The library will determine the specific dates depending on the circumstances.
- You will be charged JPY50 (JPY100 for color) per page (in original text) for JSCE members, and JPY100 (JPY200 for color) per page for non-members.
- Request for copies will not be accepted for JSCE publications currently on sale and for editions of domestic periodicals within 6 months from publication.
(6) Videos and Films
Videos and Movies may be lent out free of charge upon reservation. To receive a list of what is available, please submit your request to the library. Be sure to clearly indicate the mailing address of where it should be sent. Please make your reservations at least one week in advance to the date on which you will be using the video or film.
Weekdays only 9:30 - 17:00
The library is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays, Substitution Holidays, on 2nd Wednesdays of each month, and from December 25th to January 5th.There may be other special occasions when the library may be closed, so please inquire over the phone before visiting.
JSCE Civil Engineering Library
- Mu-banchi Yotsuya 1-Chome Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo Japan 160-0004
- Phone: +81-3-3355-3596